Why Advertise in Podcasts?
By: Erica Bystrom
PodcastHosting.org research reports there are over 1,750,000 podcasts, as of February 2021. The growth of the podcast media platform is record breaking. Today, 50% of all US homes are podcast fans. This is a huge advertising market and we at BDM Inc. have a decade of experience buying podcast ads. There are several major benefits to podcast advertising for our clients:
- Podcasts only insert a few ads in each episode. The limited inventory is a positive in the sense that your message gets much more attention.
- Podcasts tend to be highly engaging mediums for delivering messages. Given the audio nature of podcasts, listeners tend to hang on every word, making them an excellent audience for advertisers who are trying to get their brands known.
- People listen to podcasts because they have deep respect for the host. And since they put their trust in the hosts of their favorite podcasts, they’re much more receptive to the brands that these hosts decide to endorse.
- Majority of ads in podcasts are host reads. The host’s voice is familiar to audience giving the ad more attention and credibility.
Provided below are additional high level statistics for the podcast world of 2021. BDM Inc has found much success with our DR clients advertising in podcast to meet ROI goals.
- 51% of podcast listeners are male, 49% female
- Age of listeners: 12-34: 48%, 35-54: 32%, 55+: 20%
- 41% of monthly podcast listeners have household income over $75K (vs 29% for US population)
- 25% of US podcast listeners have a 4-year college degree (vs 19% of US population)
- 51% employed full-time (vs 44% of US population)
- Podcast listeners subscribe to an average of 6 shows
- 93% listen to all or most of each episode
- Comedy, education, and news are the most popular podcasting genres.
- 81% of podcast listeners pay attention to podcast ads
If you’re not advertising in Podcasts, BDM can guide you to the right podcasts for your offer!